Don’t fall victim to internet fraud
Phishing attempts in scam emails, identity theft, fake websites, data breaches – you regularly hear news about these common tactics. According to the FBI, internet fraud, or the use of internet services or software with internet access to defraud victims or to otherwise take advantage of them, has been rampant since the early 1990s. In the Covid-19 era, the Better Business Bureau reported a spike in internet fraud scams due to increased online shopping and transactions.
Our client’s security and privacy are top priorities at American National Bank. Great effort is put forth to safeguard our client’s identity and financial assets. In turn, we are committed to providing security tips and education around internet security and privacy best practices.
What can you do to protect yourself online?
- Create strong, unique passwords.
- The longer the password the better. Preferably, a password would be at least 12 characters long. Avoid using common words, phrases, sequences and old passwords.
- Treat unknown links with doubt
- Links are easy ways for cyber criminals to take advantage of your information. Be judicious about clicking on any link you don’t recognize.
- Configure your online privacy settings
- Decide on your comfort level regarding information that you’re comfortable sharing with a given app, web portal or device
Taking steps to keep you safe
ANB holds your sensitive information with the utmost care. We have a host of products that provides safety and security for your accounts. Although no system is foolproof, some of the best ways to safeguard your accounts is to monitor it in real-time for unauthorized activity.
We offer a host of products that allow you to monitor and restrict the use on your accounts, as these measures are in place to protect your identity against theft and fraud:
- Online Banking: Our banking products allow you to setup alerts in real-time so that you can be instantly notified if a withdrawal occurs that exceeds an amount that you designate. ANB Go has Alert Preferences where you can set balance and transaction alerts. ANB Go Business offers similar alerts, but can also be set for transaction types with thresholds.
- Online Security - We ensure your Internet banking transactions are secure through various security measures including:
- A password-controlled system entry
- a Geotrust-issued Digital ID for the bank's server
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol for data encryption
- A router loaded with a firewall to regulate the inflow and outflow of server traffic
- Robust anti-spyware, anti-malware, and security software
- Multi-factor authentication for additional security
- Credit Cards: The ANB Mastercard Credit Card online site enables you to quickly setup alerts for things such as: transaction amounts, online purchases, international purchases and so on. Register your Mastercard Credit Card at eZCard.com. Don't have an ANB credit card, click here to learn more and apply online.
Together, we can all do our part to create a safer and more secure cyber environment. Our hope is that by keeping you safe, you can focus on the important things in your life. Stay vigilant, and know American National Bank is on your side